Sara Edwards, MDOrthopaedic Surgeon
Shoulder & Sports Medicine Specialist
Dr. Edwards is an associate professor, orthopaedic surgery, in the School of Medicine at UCSF. She is a practicing and Shoulder and Sports Medicine Specialist seeing patients at the UCSF Orthopaedic Institute in San Francisco, and the UCSF Berkeley Outpatient Center. She is a Team Physician at the University of San Francisco and City College of San Francisco.
- Board Certified in Orthopaedic Surgery,
ABOS part 2, July 2009, ABOS part 1, July 2005
Subspecialty certification in Sports Medicine,
- Charles S. Neer Shoulder and Sports Fellow,
Columbia University Orthopaedic Surgery
New York, New York, 2005-2006
- Orthopaedic Surgery Resident,
Northwestern University Orthopaedic Surgery
Chicago, Illinois, 2000-2005
- Doctor of Medicine,
Northwestern University Medical School
Chicago, Illinois, 1996-2000
- B.S. in Biology with Minor in Chemistry,
University of Illinois
Champaign, Illinois, 1992-1996
- University of San Francisco, Associate Team Physician, Men's basketball, 2018-present
- University of California-Berkeley, Team Physician, 2013-2018
Men’s football, men's rugby, women's basketball
- Oakland Ballet, Orthopaedic coverage, 2013-present
- Northwestern University, Associate Team Physician, 2010-2013
Men’s football, basketball, wrestling, soccer, women’s lacrosse, basketball, soccer, field hockey, tennis, swimming and diving, cross country, golf
- University of California-Berkeley, Associate Team Physician, 2007-2010
Women’s basketball, Men’s water polo
- United States Swimming Association Physician, 2008-present
- Oakland School District High School Football Coverage, 2006-present
- Columbia University Athletic Department Orthopaedic Coverage, 2005-2006 (fellow)
- Tournament of Champions Professional Squash Tournament, 2006 (fellow)
- United States Soccer Federation Special Events Coverage, 2005 (resident)
- Joffrey Ballet of Chicago Orthopaedic Coverage, 2002-2005 (resident)
- Chicago Public School Football Orthopaedic Coverage and Sports Physicals, 2002-2005 (resident)
- Participated in care of athletes from Chicago Blackhawks, Cubs, and Bears, 2002-2005 (resident)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2011-present
- American Shoulder and Elbow Society, 2013-present
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, 2013-present
- Arthroscopy Association of North America, Associate Member, 2006-present
- American Orthopaedic Association, Emerging Leaders Program, 2009-present
- James Stack “Outstanding Teacher” Award
Northwestern University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2013
AOSSM “Aircast” Award for Outstanding Clinical Paper from a Fellow:
“Improved Clinical Outcomes with Nonoperative Treatment of SLAP Tears.”
American Orthopaedic Society of Sports Medicine, July 2007, Calgary, Alberta
- Martens KA, Edwards S, Omar I, & Saltzman M. “Heat Generated with Pegged or Keeled Glenoid Components Fixed with Defined Amounts of Cement.” Orthopedics. 2012; 35:e469-e473.
- Schwartz D, Kang S, Lynch T, Edwards S, Nuber G, Zhang L, & Saltzman M. “The Anterior Deltoid’s Importance in Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty.” Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2012.
- Rabuck S, Lynch J, Guo X, Zhang L, Edwards S, Nuber G, & Saltzman M. “Biomechanical Comparison of 3 Methods to Repair Pectoralis Major Ruptures.” American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2012;40(7):1635-1640.
- Edwards S, Lynch T, Saltzman M, Terry M, & Nuber G. “Biologic and Pharmacologic Augmentation of Rotator Cuff Repairs.” Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery. 2011;19(10):583-589.
- Izquierdo R, Voloshin I, Edwards S, Freehill M, Stanwood W, Wiater J, Watters W, Goldberg M, Keith M, Turkelson C, Wies J, Anderson S, Boyer K, Raymond L, & Sluka P. “Treatment of Glenohumeral Osteoarthritis.” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. January 2011, 93:203-205.
- Saltzman M, Marecek G, Edwards S, & Kalainov D. “Infection after Shoulder Surgery.” Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2011;19(4): 208-218.
- Edwards S, Lee J, Packer J, Bell J, Ahmad C, Levine W, Bigliani L, & Blaine T. “Nonoperative Treatment of Superior Labrum Anterior Posterior Tears: Improvements in Pain, Function, and Quality of Life.” American Journal of Sports Medicine. July 2010, 38(7):1456-1461.
- Izquierdo R, Voloshin I, Edwards S, Freehill M, Stanwood W, Wiater J, Watters W, Goldberg M, Keith M, Turkelson C, Wies J, Anderson S, Boyer K, Raymond L, & Sluka P. “Treatment of Glenohumeral Osteoarthritis.” Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery. June 2010, 18(6):375-382.
- Edwards S, & Bigliani L. “The Loose Glenoid: A Problem of Consequence.” Seminars in Arthroplasty. March 2007, 18(1):79-84.
- Edwards S, Wilson N, Flores S, Koh J, & Zhang L. “Distal Clavicle Resection: A Biomechanical Analysis.” Arthroscopy. December 2007, 23(12):1278-84.
- Edwards S, Wilson N, Flores S, Zhang L, & Merk B. “Two Part Proximal Humerus Fractures: A Biomechanical Analysis of Two Fixation Techniques.” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. October 2006, 88:2258-64.
- Benson L, Edwards S, Williams C, Visotsky J, & Schiff A. “Hand Injuries Due To Domestic Animal Bites.” Journal of Hand Surgery. March 2006, 31(3):468-73.
- Edwards S, Bell J, & Blaine T. “Inflammation and Shoulder Pain: A Perspective on Rotator Cuff Disease, Adhesive Capsulitis, and Osteoarthritis.” US Orthopaedics Review 2006. November 2005, 1-6.
- Bell J, Goldberg S, Edwards S, & Bigliani L. “Cementless Prosthetic Fixation: When Less is More.” Seminars in Arthroplasty. December 2005, 16(4):263-67.
- Edwards S, & Sarwark J. “Infant Motor Development: A Review.” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. May 2005, (434):33-39.
- Orthopedic surgery consultant for Yahoo! Sports "Fantasy Football Live," 2017-present
- Committee member for AAOS sponsored evidence based guidelines for Total Shoulder Arthroplasty, 2008-present
- Editorial Review Board for Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Shoulder and Elbow, 2012-present
- Reviewer for Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 2012-present
- Reviewer for American Journal of Sports Medicine, 2008-present
- Reviewer for Orthopaedics, 2008-present
- Reviewer for Journal of American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2008-present
- Nuber GW, Saltzman MD, Edwards S, & Lynch TS. “Common Shoulder Injuries in Hockey and American Football.” Disorders of the Shoulder: Diagnosis and Management. Iannotti JP, Williams GR. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, in press.
- Edwards S, & Blaine T. “Nonoperative Management of Shoulder Arthritis.” Orthopaedic Knowledge Update: Shoulder and Elbow 3. Ed. Galatz L., Rosemont, IL, AAOS publishing, 2008.
- Edwards S, & Blaine T. “Arthroscopic Single Row Rotator Cuff Repair.” Minimally Invasive Shoulder Surgery. Ed. Levine W. New York: Marcel-Dekker, 2008.
- Edwards S, Blaine T, Bell J & Bigliani L. “Mini-Incision Total Shoulder Arthroplasty.” Minimally Invasive Surgery in Orthopaedics. Ed. Scuderi G. New York: Springer, 2009.
- Bell J, Edwards S, & Bigliani L. “The Columbia University Experience in Treating the Rotator Cuff Deficient Shoulder.” The Rotator Cuff Deficient Shoulder. Ed. Frankle M. New York: Thieme, 2008.
- Edwards S, Bell J, & Bigliani L. “Subacromial Impingement.” The Athlete’s Shoulder. Eds. Andrews J, Wilk K. New York: Churchill-Livingstone, 2008.
- Bell J, Edwards S, & Blaine T. “Surgical Exposures of the Shoulder.” Adult Reconstruction. Eds. Berry D, Steinmann M. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, September 2007.
- Edwards S, & Bigliani L. “Multidirectional Instability.” AAOS Monograph Series: Advanced Reconstruction: Shoulder. Ed. Zuckerman J. Rosemont, IL: AAOS publishing, 2007.
- Edwards S, Bell J, Levine W & Bigliani L. “Upper Extremity Considerations: Osteoarthritis of the Shoulder.” Osteoarthritis. 3rd ed. Ed. Hochberg M, Buckwalter J, Goldberg V, et al. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, December 2006.